Saturday, December 16, 2006

Light Rail


OK, It's been a while but I haven't been able to ride the bus for a couple of weeks. I did have a chance to ride the light rail line in Minneapolis, MN. This is a pretty short run but it's their first since Minneapolis and St. Paul had a trolley system. The line runs from the Mall of America and downtown Minneapolis. Anyway, I was staying a few blocks from a downtown station so I skipped the rental car and used the rail and bus system.

The rail was pretty nice - very clean - very new. The fare was only $1.50 and included bus transfers.

I lived in MN when light rail was first approved. The thought back then was that there wouldn't be enough rides to make it worth building. At the same time the state of MN was adding lanes to several highways in town to reduce auto traffic. This was counter productive as making it easier to drive would only reduce reliance on public transportation. Why not take two freeway lanes and drop in a light rail system.

Big laugh! I rode on Monday and Friday afternoon and it was about 60% full. I also rode Wednesday evening with the same results. So there!

The fare collection is pretty loose. I purchased a ticket each time but was never asked to show it to a conductor. Perhaps the theory is that the line is so restricted that a rider will have to take a bus to get to their final destination and that's where they catch up with the fare.

OK, not bus related but still...What's the point of air travelers taking a window seat when they know they can't make the trip without going to the bathroom! I was on the aisle or middle seat this trip and had to let the window seated person both times. Both times they asked if I minded...well yes I do. Move over and give me the window!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home